AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, June 28, 2024

Mulberries: A life lesson in looking up

Yesterday I went out to the backyard to pluck flowers. When I reached a tree I looked up and saw a lot of mulberries on the branches of the tree. The ripe ones are a deep, dark shade. The unripe ones are green, pale green, cream and pale red. Some of the mulberries are so ripe that if you touch it, the juice comes on your hand and makes a bluish purple stain. The profusion of fruits on one tree was amazing. I started plucking the mulberries and eating them. In my grandfather's younger brother's home in Keechery there used to be one or two mulberry trees. When we go there we check out the tree. Unlike mangoes or jackfruit the mulberry is not plucked and brought into the house and eaten formally by placing on the dining table or kitchen etc. If you walk by the tree you pluck a berry and eat. Otherwise nobody notices the tree. But that is in Keechery where there are lots of trees. But here this is one of the few trees we have. The other trees we have are oak, apple tree, Christmas trees and flowering trees. The mulberries were juicy and sweet. I photographed the tree branches and the fruits. I think, I got beautiful pictures-- maybe not as beautiful as pictures by more talented photographers. But I am satisfied with the pics I took. But unlike in Keechery I plucked a few mulberries and put it in a dish and brought it inside. Seeing the bounty of nature yesterday in the abundance of mulberries made me feel as though all is well with my world. I saw the mulberries because I chose to look up. It was completely unexpectedly that I looked up. I was just going to gather flowers which were growing on plants much closer to the ground. This made me think about the concept of looking up. I have heard a lot about the idea of "looking up." Looking up is similar to reaching for the stars. Or filling your heart with hope instead of feeling dejected or discouraged. Thinking of positive happy ideas to make the world a better place is also the same as looking up. We can literally look up or figuratively look up. Figuratively speaking looking up means filling our heart with happy things. I was not figuratively looking up. I was literally looking up. My point is that looking up is good both literally and figuratively. So when I looked up to see the branches I saw the mulberries. If we look up we may see amazing things.

No comments: