Wednesday, August 26, 2026
Onam
Today is the festival of Onam, an agricultural and cultural festival of the southern Indian state of kerala where I hail from. Legend has it that a righteous and benevolent king called Maveli used to be the king of kerala.
Under his reign there was a perfect society.
There was equality, Justice, honesty, faithfulness, prosperity and happiness.
Maveli became so popular that everyone became jealous of him.
The Gods send a avatar of Vamana who appeared as a small statured brahmin before the king and asked for alms.
The king told him to ask for three things.
The brahmin said could I have as much land as my three footsteps could step on.
Since he was so small statured the king thought that would not be a lot of land and agreed to give him as much land as his three footsteps could step on.
Soon after the king granted the wish Vamana became so huge that his first foot step covered the entire earth.
His next footstep covered the entire nether world.
There was no more place to keep his third footstep.
Where should I keep my third footstep.? Maveli asked.
A king should not break his word. Keep your third footstep on my head, the king told Vamana.
He placed his third footstep on the kings head.
The king was pushed into patala or the nether world.
Before pushing the king the Vamana asked the king ask me for a wish.
Could I come every year to see the people of my country, Maveli said.
Yes you may was the answer.
Thus Maveli comes once every year to visit his subjects. The people of kerala welcome Maveli into their homes. They decorate their homes with flower carpets. They wear new clothes. They perform various dances such as Thiruvathirakali. Games such as Tug of war and puli kali are played. A grand only vegetarian feast is prepared consisting of a large number of curries. Several types of payasam is served. This is the story behind Onam.
To commemorate Onam I made payasam.
This is the payasam I made.
Maveli
Pookkalam or flower carpet. Children gather flowers and bring it home and elaborate pookkalams are made.
Thiruvathirakali a traditional kerala dance.
The traditional vegetarian feast served on a banana leaf. Happy Onam to you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment