AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Silk Hydrangeas and names of flowers

Last week I went to hobby lobby and photographed these silk flowers. They are all hydrangeas. I don't know if in real life hydrangeas come in so many colors. I have only seen blue, green, and white and maybe pink hydrangeas. Maybe they do come in all these colors. I have never seen hydrangeas in India. But then in India I did not know the names of so many flowers. The flowers I knew the names of were orchid, jasmine, hibuscus, chethy, pichi, and elanji, kanakambaram, parijatham, naalu mani poovukal, water lilly, lotus, vadaamalli, and lilly, and konna. The lilly in kerala is very small and white. I have seen lots of other flowers but I do not know their names. The Cochin Flower show was this week long gardening exhibition in the place I grew up in during my childhood where the gardening talents of the residents of kochi and surrounding areas was in full display. There all the plants and flowers are labelled. It was the best place to learn the names of flowers. If you go to a wedding when you leave the wedding you get a vadamalli flower and a lilly on a stick wrapped with colored paper. You also get your forehead smeared with sandalwood paste. If my parents return from a wedding they will bring this and their forehead will be smeared with sandalwood paste. Pichi is similar to jasmine and can be made into a garland. Elanji is a tree and one of my fathers friends house name is elanjikkal. The word/name elanjikkal reverbates in my head from time to time.

No comments: