AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Books

Il faut cultiver notre jardin: quote by Voltaire.
A Picture of Voltaire. I finally practiced something that I saw in a Gilmore girls video. In this video Rory Gilmore says she likes having several books in her backpack. If you have several books when you are tired of one you can read the other and when you are tired of that you can read yet another and so on. Yesterday I read five books simultaneously and continuously. The authors I read are William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, William Shakespeare, Annie Dillard and The Norton Anthology of childrens literature. By reading these great books I was cultivating my own garden in my own way. While reading Faulkner I noticed that some of the sentences in his book are so long. One sentence was a page long. The sentence that started at the beginning of the page ended towards the end of the page. In between there were lots of other punctuation marks but the period came at the very end. While studying creative writing we were supposed to look out for and watch for good and long sentences. The title of the book by Faulkner I am reading is The Portable Faulkner. Hemingway had a quote about writing which made me read on. "All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know." I like this quote a lot. The title of the book by Hemingway that I am reading is A Moveable Feast. It is about his life in Paris and interactions with another writer Gertrude Stein. The William Shakespeare play I started reading is the Comedy of Errors. Inspite of the archaic english it is so interesting. I have only started reading the play but the section before the play gives so much info about the world of Shakespeare which I found very interesting.
A picture of the Globe theater where Shakespeare's play were staged.
These two pictures are from the book. All these books are from the library. The book by Annie Dillard is about fiction writing styles, and other aspects of fiction and how it is different from other genres or even other forms of art. The title of the book is Living by Fiction.

No comments: