AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Christmas Socks and the English Language

Happy Christmas socks from Old Navy.
They come in bright and cheerful colors.
Here is something I wrote about socks a few years ago. I had the opportunity to arrange christmas socks on a wall. I came across several brands of socks. One brand name was Keep Your Socks on. This intruiged me and I embarked on a journey to find idioms with the word socks. Here is what I wrote a few years ago. "The name Keep Your Socks On intrigued me because it sounded like a phrase. Was it a phrase? If so, what did it mean? I resorted to looking up this phrase on my phone via google and found that Keep Your Socks On meant to be patient and calm. That was the beginning of a new journey of understanding the English language for me. I found that the word “socks” is part of not just one idiom in the English language but many. The idiom pull your socks up means don’t be afraid. Put a sock in it means to quieten someone. To work your socks off means to work really hard, a wet sock means a really wimpy kind of person, to be socked in can mean inclement weather completely enclosing us, sock it to one means to attack or compete against someone in a very forceful manner, sock away means to save or reserve money for future, bless his or her cotton socks is a phrase used mostly in England or Australia which is an expression of fondness for another person. To blow one’s socks off means to thoroughly impress someone. A sock hop is a school dance in a gymnasium with students required to remove their shoes to prevent damaging the gym floor and pull your socks up means to improve one’s performance.

No comments: