AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Zeitgeist, Labor and Table Topics Questions

This is the word I said in Toastmasters club yesterday. Zeitgeist.  Zeitgeist is the spirit of the age. The general set of ideas, beliefs, cultural attitudes, and mood that define a particular period in history. 

It comes from the German word zeitgeist meaning Time and Geist meaning Spirit. 

It was the German philosopher Wilhelm Hegel who popularized the idea that every historical era has a unique intellectual and moral climate. 

A movie or song can capture the zeitgeist of a decade.

The focus on digital connectivity and remote work reflects the zeitgeist of the modern era. 

This is the word I said in Toastmasters club on September 8, 2026. 

Today's word is inspired by the Labor Day weekend. 

Labor means physical or mental work. 

Labor also means the workforce as a group. 

Labor means the process of childbirth. 

Labor is the name of a political party in the UK. 

Other words for labor are toil, work, effort, exertion, and struggle. 

Table Topics questions of September 8. 

1. What are your accomplishments this summer? Did you go on a vacation? Did you read a good book? Did you learn a new skill? What other thing did you accomplish? Could you share your experiences. 

2.Hard work results in success. Do you have any experiences of hard work resulting in success. I had one such experience. In first year college it was my first class test. The teacher said these are the lessons you need to study. So that weekend I studied a lot. I read, underlined, memorized and continued to study. The next week in class I knew all the answers and the teacher gave me an A+. Could you share an experience when you studied well and got good grades? 

3. All that glitters is not gold. What does this proverb mean to you? 

4.On September 22 we start a new season. It is the season of colorful leaves, cooler temps, pumpkin spice latte, Halloween candy and so on. What are some things you like about autumn?  I hope you have a great day?


No comments: