AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, August 10, 2024

Kalona

When we moved to Iowa several years ago, I heard for the first time about the historical Amish community that lives in the village of kalona. At first I was so fascinated by this community of old fashioned people whose way of life seemed very interesting because it was borne out of a desire to live in a certain way due to their faith. I wanted to write about them. I wanted to ask them questions about their lifestyle. Why did they chose to shun technology in a country known for the best innovations in cutting edge technology. Did they ever feel like following the latest fashions in clothes. When it came to modernism where did they draw the line? Did they drive horse driven buggies and yet repaired cars?

My earliest wish to write about this community never materialized although I went to kalona several times with friends and family. I have been to the kalona grocery store which is extremely inexpensive, and I have been to an old farm house in kalona for picking strawberries.
Occasionally I would see women dressed in long dresses and bonnet in a store in Iowa city or the mall. In a world filled with tank tops and shorts they seemed like an anachronism.

Over the years I visited kalona several times and every single time enjoyed the drive to this little island of tranquility and peace. Yesterday I once again had the opportunity to visit kalona with my son and my brother. My brother was visiting me from Columbia and my son decided to take him sight seeing to the most touristy place near Iowa city and I went along.










No comments: