AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, October 5, 2023

Khadi

 Khadi is Mahatma Gandhi's fabric. Mahatma Gandhi wanted Indians to feel self sufficient and depend on themselves for clothes and everything else. So Mahatma Gandhi started spinning yarn by hand on charkha or the spinning wheel and make a kind of fabric called khadi. In India there are a lot of stores called khadi gramodyog bhavans where people can buy khadi clothes. We can also buy hand made arts and crafts of India from these stores. I remember my parents buying me a pink printed khadi maxi dress from the khadi gramodyog bhavan in kochi. In college I had a turquoise blue khadi kurta with a panel of small mirrors stitched on it with the same color thread. Lots of girls in college had this. In college I also had a loose khadi kurta which could be worn with jeans which has no decorative work on it. Now the khadi fabric is made into high fashion clothes by Indian fashion designers. In the internet I saw these pictures of a khadi fashion show. 



Shall share more pics from this khadi fashion show in another post. 











No comments: