AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

The Merchant of Venice: Character Sketch of Shylock 2

Shylock's grievances about being mistreated because of his race: Merchant of Venice

Several scholars have hypothesized that Shylock has a reason for his bitterness and desire for revenge. The reason is that he has been treated with cruelty because of his race and this causes him to be cruel and vengeful. This essay addresses Shylock's Jewish heritage. What kind of a Jew was Shylock? How does his race and religion inform his life and personality? The first time Shylocks jewishness is revealed is when invited to dine with Antonio and Bassanio he said that he will not eat, drink or pray with them. This gives us the impression that he is a praying Jew and not a non praying Jew. and also that he considers himself superior to christians.

Names of biblical patriarchs pepper the speech of Shylock and reflect his jewishness. During the meal with Antonio and Bassanio, he describes how Jacob worked in his uncle Laban's field. He said that Jacobs cleverness is similar to his ability to charge interest in the Venetian market place and by saying this Shylock was probably trying to convince Antonio that he was not a bad person for charging interest. He refers to Portia as Daniel, and talks about Father Abram- both Hebrew patriarchs.

Shylock says two speeches that describe suffering because of Jewishness touching on themes of anti-semitism. The first one was before the bond was signed. Bassanio had asked Shylock for the money and Shylock says the first of the speeches where he gives vent to his grievances against Antonio and show his feelings as a Jew.

"Signior Antonio many a time and oft in the rialto you have rated me about my money and my usances still I have borne it with a patient shrug. For sufferance is the badge of all our tribe.
You call me misbeliever, cut throat dog and spent up on my Jewish gaberdine and all for use for that which is mine own well then now it appears you need my help go to then you come to me and you say Shylock we would have money's you say so you that did void your rheum upon my beard and foot me as you spurn a stranger cur over your threshold money is your suit. What should I say to you should I not say hath a dog money is it possible a cur can lend three thousand ducats or shall I bend low and in a bondman's key with bated breath and whispering humbleness say this. You spet on me on Wednesday last you spurned me such a day another time. You called me dog and for these courtsies I'll lend you this much moneys."

Shylock says Antonio hates him for his Jewish ness as when he said "he spat upon my Jewish gaberdine."

The next time Shylock brings up his Jewish ness is right after he gets news of Jessica eloping with Lorenzo. As he mourns his loss he also is filled with anger toward Antonio and rejoices to hear about Antonio's losses. He says that he would demand the bond because Antonio has hated him because of his jewish religion. When Salerio questions him as to what he would do with his pound of flesh he snaps back and says it is to bait fish.

This is the beginning of his next speech. The bond according to Shylock if it will feed nothing else it will feed his revenge. "He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million. Laughed at my losses,
mocked at my gains scorned my nation thwarted my bargains cooled my friends heated mind enemies and what's his reason I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes. Hath not a Jew hands organs dimensions senses affections passions fed with the same food hurt with the same weapons subject to the same diseases healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Christian is. If you prick us do we not bleed. If you tickle us do we not laugh. If you poison us do we not die. And if you wrong us shall we not revenge. If we are like you in the rest we will resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian what is his humility. Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew what should his sufferance be by Christian example. Why revenge the villainy you teach me I will execute and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction." This impassioned speech by Shylock also has been cited by scholars to argue that Shylock was driven to revenge due to the bad treatment he received because he was a Jew.

In an essay written by a scholar it was said that the famous speech ends in justification for revenge. It is as though Shylock is saying because he is Jewish he should be vengeful.

If a Jew wrong a Christian what is his humility-- revenge. Has Shylock forgotten the Jewish virtue of forgiveness?

Especially since he earlier says he is a praying Jew one would expect him to have this virtue.

He also said earlier the most important characteristic of the Jew is the ability to suffer.

In true suffering there is no room for revenge.

Then why is Shylock saying that a wronged Jew has to take revenge.

A wronged gentile takes revenge.

A wronged Jew does not.


Here it also seems as though Shylock is saying that just as the Christian should not take revenge but has taken revenge the Jew also has to take revenge. The villainy you teach me I will execute, are his words, his justification for the bond. Revenge is a villainy taught to Shylock by Antonio and he says he will execute revenge. He also says he will better the instruction which probably means that his revenge will be better than the lesson in revenge taught him by Antonio. These are important words that give us insight into Shylock's character. Shylock may be a Jew who obeys the letter of the law and not the spirit. Justice is definitely a Jewish concept.

Not charging interest is a Jewish law.

Mercy and forgiveness are Jewish notions. Shylock fails in all of them. Also the rare occasions he shows affection toward his family members and shows humanity reflects his Jewishness.

No comments: