AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, October 29, 2012

Decorating my fireplace mantel

The focal point of our family room is the fireplace mantel and I love decorating it. Over the weekend, I thought the mantel should reflect the focal points of our life as a family, the things that are meaningful to us and hold memories for us.
So first I placed an embroidered peacock picture on the mantel which we had bought from India last summer. Growing up in India, I remember that in my parents home there were two fans made out of peacock feathers. When the electricity was out and it would get really hot we used it to fan ourselves, I think. We also used it to tickle ourselves because the feathers were so soft. And sometimes as decoration in our home. In elementary school there were many kids in my class who kept peacock feathers inside the pages of school text books. It was like a special treasure. In my husband's home in New Delhi, peacocks would fly /swoop into the balcony. Peacock is the national bird of India and when I was a kid I thought it was the most beautiful creature in the world. So this peacock reminds me of my life in India and of our family vacation in India last year.
Next to the peacock picture I placed a family picture from almost ten years ago, I think. Now, our boys are 17 and 14 and don't look very much like this. However, this is the latest one I have taken by a professional photographer. I do have lots of more recent family pictures but none by a professional.
Next, I placed our wedding picture which is super special to me. In 2013 we would have been happily married for twenty years. How time flies!
Next to the wedding picture I placed a brass vase that my parents brought for me from India in 2006.
In the vase I placed stems from Hobby Lobby. Now I want to add pumpkins, gourds and fall leaves also. I hope I will get time for that tomorrow. Have a wonderful day!

No comments: