AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Adventure


Yesterday I participated in Toastmasters Club Meeting.
I had the role of general evaluator.
I answered one table topics question. It was about adventure.
The question was what was my idea of adventure. As I started my response I realized that I did not know the exact definition of the word adventure. I did know that Adventure is going to new places and seeing new things. But the exact definition eluded me as I sat facing my fellow toastmaster club members via zoom. The voyages of discovery made by ancient sea farers may be called adventure. When Christopher Columbus set out on a journey to discover a sea route to India he found America.
Vasco da gama the Portuguese travellor found a sea route to India.
Ferdinand Megallan circumnavigated the world.
People have gone to the moon and mars. These are adventures.
However these adventures are very dangerous. What if Christopher Columbus lost his way and was ship wrecked. What if Vasco da gama was attacked by pirates and did not reach India.Thankfully none of this happened. Christopher Columbus safely reached America and till today we revere this person as the one who discovered the north American continent. But there was a chance that it could all have ended badly. These lessons from history teaches me to choose my adventures wisely Adventure Park roller coaster rides is also a kind of adventure. These are ok adventures.
We know for sure it is only a ride and the ride is only for a duration of time. We feel fear knotting our stomach as we go high up in the roller coaster ride and we close our eyes but we know we don't have to fear -- that we will get off of the huge Ferris wheel. If the city or town you live in has boat rides for recreation I don't mind going on a boat ride and sitting in the boat watching the water, and the waves and reaching back from where I started off. But if someone offered me a ticket to go in a space shuttle to space in a experimental journey my response would be no thanks. If I was asked to go on a voyage to go on a new kind of ship to a place I have never been to I will say no thanks. So while the word adventure means seeing new places and new things if it means possibly never reaching home safe, if the danger and risk is too high then I would not like. However there are safe adventures. And I
am all for safe adventure.
BTW here is the definitions of adventure according to Collins dictionary. adventures plural 1. COUNTABLE NOUN If someone has an adventure, they become involved in an unusual, exciting, and somewhat dangerous trip or series of events. 2. UNCOUNTABLE NOUN Adventure is excitement and willingness to do new, unusual, or somewhat dangerous things. 1. the encountering of danger 2. a daring, hazardous undertaking 3. an unusual, stirring experience, often of a romantic nature 4. a venture or speculation in business or finance 5. a liking for danger, excitement, etc.

No comments: