AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Random Thoughts on Watches

Earlier I was working in a Department store and had to work with handbags, watches, sunglasses, and jewelry. One day, five years ago, I spent a lot of time working with watches and jotted down my experience of working with watches. Here are the Random Thoughts About Watches. The day before yesterday, I spent a lot of time in the watch bay in my store. I had to do markdowns. The brands of watches our store carries are Michael Kors, Armani Exchange, Diesel, Skagen, Marc Jacobs, Fossil and Fossil Q, Anne Klien, Betsey Johnson, Lucky, Lola Rose and Armitron. Besides these there are Michael Kors Smartwatches, and Fossil smartwatches. I really like doing markdowns. While doing markdowns I am mechanically scanning watch after watch and am alone with my thoughts. I love being alone with my thoughts. I think of the first watch I had. While in school, my grandfather or father bought it for me. It was an HMT watch. It was a gold watch with a gold strap and gold dial. It was not ultra feminine looking watch. My mom's watches had very thin straps and small faces. Later I got other watches which were ultra feminine that my mom bought me when I was in college. Sometimes I would just take my mom's watch and wear them. When I was in school I liked my watch strap to be loose and hang on my wrist like a bracelet. My parents wore watches that fit their wrist snugly with leather or fabric straps. My grandfatger's watch was silver and hung loose on his wrist like a bracelet but not as loose as my watch. My appappan's watch was by a company or brand that I have never seen on anyone. After coming to the US every once in a while I would buy a watch. When my parents visited a few years ago they brought two pink watches for my children. While doing markdowns I have to set aside watches with price changes. If the price is not changed then that watch remains in a separate category. If the price is changed then it goes in a category of watches for which new labels announcing the new price has to be made. The prices of watches usually changes from 0 to 30 %, 30 to 50 percent and 50 to 65%. Some watches go from 0 to 40 percent. The printer is sometimes located in the shoe department and sometimes in the handbag department. The printer could actually be anywhere. Sometimes we find a printer in the handbag department or the sunglasses bay. While scanning every once in a while I am interrupted by a customer who wants to look at a watch or has questions about a certain brand. I show them watches. Some buy and some walk away and I go back to scanning. Maybe it is my background in psychology that causes me to think about watches as a concept rather than a product. After all could there have been a product without a concept. How ancient are watches? What do they signify apart from their function of telling time? Watches are intricate objects involving more concepts such as precision and accuracy. The needles mark seconds and minutes and hours. In medieval Europe I have heard that watch making is a profession. A trade that is passed down from one generation to the next. I imagine watchmakers wearing glasses sitting with precision tools on tables scattered with the parts of a watch. Parts of a watch remind me of parts of a speech. Watches and speeches. Is that a concept? My mind goes back to psychology. We had to study a chapter called human learning. Learning concepts is fundamental to how human beings learn. If that is the case is there a connection between speeches and watches if both speeches and watches have parts?

No comments: