AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fleur-de-lis Pillows

Unbeknownst to myself, I have been collecting fleur-de-lis things. This is a realization I had while making these two fleur-de-lis pillow covers. While working on these pillow covers and thinking about what to write on this blog post, I suddenly remembered all the fleur-de-lis things I have in my home. I have two fleur-de-lis curtain rods, fleur-de-lis scrapbook paper, fleur-de-lis wall hanging and a year ago I even stenciled a fleur-de-lis pattern on a DIY rug. And now, to add to the collection I made these fleur-de-lis pillows. I know I am not that crazy about fleur-de-lis, so I am not really sure why I keep collecting them.
I think fleur-de-lis is intriguing. So I checked wikipedia for the meaning of fleur-de-lis. I found that "fleur" means "flower" in french and "lis" means "lily" in french. It is a stylized, ancient symbol often found in coats of arms and flags.
To make these pillow covers I drew the outline with the wall hanging I already had, painted it gold with fabric paint , hand-sewed it and added pink and white pom-poms in one and just pink pom-poms in the other. I think the pom-poms give it the v day touch. .
I think I discovered fleur-de-lis while looking for a stencil in a paisley or any other block print type pattern usually found in traditionally Indian fabrics. But now I seem to be drawn to it. In fact, while making these pillows I decided that if I ever get to design jewelry I will most definitely design a pair of fleur-de-lis earrings with diamonds. That would be very pretty, don't you think?
Do you like fleur-de-lis? Have you collected anything without realizing that you were actually collecting it? Have a happy Tuesday!

No comments: