AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, December 22, 2023

Upma

I made a simple Indian breakfast dish called Upma. Recently I realised there are many different ways to make upma. In different familes this dish is made in different ways. This particular one is something I learned from Rajshri foods. In my parents home it is made in a certain way. Also, the recipe varies depending on the availability of ingredients. My mother sometimes puts steamed plantains in it. Sometimes peanuts. In other homes they may make it plain without any additional veggies. Some just add tomatoes. Some add peas to upma. Some add an assortment of veggies such as carrorts, beans etc.
In a restaurant I visited as a child the upma is so soft it is almost runny. It is also yellow because they add turmeric, I guess.
I have never come across an upma recipe which adds yogurt. The Rajshri food recipe that I tried today and presented here in this post has yogurt in it. In my opinion the presence of yogurt makes it nicer. It also has onions, carrot, beans, and mustard seeds etc.
To make this shape you can apply oil to a katori or ramekin and fill it with upma and turn it over in a plate. The upma will come out to the plate like this. I am planning to do a series on different types of upma.

No comments: