AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Vattayappam 2

I made one more vattayappam today. I added a little more sugar and a few raisins to the batter before steaming it. To make this I first mixed 1 cup water with 1/4 cup rice flour and cooked it on low flame till it became thick. Then I grinded one cup of thawed, frozen grated coconut with water till it became like a paste. Then I measured two cups of rice flour to a bowl, added the cooled rice flour and water thick mixture that I made earlier, to it, added the ground coconut to it and made it into a fine batter. I then added 2-4 tbsp of sugar, salt to taste, a tablespoon of yeast and a crushed cardamom. I left it on the kitchen counter overnight and in the morning it appeared fermented. Then I filled a pressure cooker with water. I applied oil to aluminum foil and lined a cake pan with the foil. I filled the cake pan lined with foil with the batter and placed it on the pressure cooker. I covered this and switched on the stove and let the water boil, steaming the batter. The first appam was steamed for 40 minutes or so and the second would be steamed a bit longer, I think. The appam is soft but a little doughy inside. I am planning to use more coconut, more sugar and slightly less yeast next time I make this.

No comments: