AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, September 11, 2023

Writing Hundred Sentences Every Day

An essay I submitted to NPR earlier this year. I am really into writing a hundred sentences every day. I write about things that I notice while going on walks, ideas that occur to me, thoughts, emotions, feelings, knowledge, stories that I remember from my childhood, proverbs that I grew up on, meanings of words, etymologies of words and information that I find in books and in the internet, and about people who inspire me. I write about the beauty of nature, about the shapes of leaves, the rough bark of trees, and the colors of flowers. Writing a hundred sentences a day is the best writing advice I have ever received in my life. It was given to me by my father who loves writing. My father encouraged me to write my first novel at age nine. I grew up being encouraged to write poems, essays and stories. Writing permeated the atmosphere in the home I grew up in and several family members write. My grandfather wrote the history of his ancient church; my mother has authored a book about beauty and my uncle is the author of many books on geopolitics. My cousin writes novels. When I write I feel as though sometimes at least I can fly on the wings of words and ideas. It was Samuel Taylor Coleridge who said in a poem titled France: an Ode that we should feel as free as the clouds, the ocean waves, the woods that listen to the night birds, the rising sun or the blue rejoicing sky. If this is a goal for human life I believe it can be accomplished through writing. Writing a hundred sentences is important to me because through each sentence I write I am able to do that which I believe I am meant to do. It helps me understand my place and role in this universe and share with my fellow human beings my perspective on things that affect our lives as humans. Writing a hundred sentences every day makes me define what I feel about a particular topic. Writing helps me feel as though I am able to continue the unbroken heritage of my family legacy and strive for fellowship with great writers of this world such as Shakespeare. I believe everyone should try writing a hundred sentences a day because it is very easy to write a hundred sentences a day. The more people write the more literate our world will become. We can become better at writing the more we write. Writing does not cost any money. It is not a hobby that is expensive to maintain. Everybody can and ought to write. I was inspired to post this essay by a youtuber called Mikayla Macgregor who has lots of info about study habits.

No comments: