AboutPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, January 21, 2013

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever"

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep.......," so goes the lines in the poem titled Endymion by John Keats. When I saw these perfectly beautiful pictures of flowers in a book I borrowed from the library called Simply Elegant Flowers, I remembered these lines I learned in English Lit class in pre-degree (high school). In the school that I went to at the time the last two years of high school were called pre-degree. John Keats is right.......beautiful things do bring joy.
While looking at those pictures I made a decision to plant a lot of flowers in our yard in spring. Our city becomes so pretty in spring because flowers appear everywhere. I cannot wait for spring to come.
Another thing you can learn from this book is the names of different types of flowers and how to identify them. I learned the name of the flower in the picture below from this book. Anemones. And the one below that is the Dianthus. Do you like learning the names of flowers? I love learning the names of flowers and trees.

Source: bhg.com via Anna on Pinterest

The flower in the image above is called Gloximia. Inside my house currently I have two jasmine plants (my favorite when it blooms) and poinsettias left over from Christmas, a Christmas cactus and two Amaryllis plants. I placed them all (except one Amaryllis and the cactus) together on a small stool and took this picture. I hope the Jasmine blooms soon and becomes my own personal thing of beauty that brings me joy.
What thing of beauty brings you joy today? Wishing you a good MLK day! Note: The first four photographs are pictures of the pictures in the book "Simply Elegant Flowers." It is best to buy/borrow the book for yourselves if you like the pictures of the flowers and not pin it from my blog since the pictures are not my own.

No comments: